Istorijos transliacijos

Ryžių universitetas

Ryžių universitetas

Ryžių universitetas, įsikūręs Hiustone, Teksase, yra vienas iš pirmaujančių mokslinių tyrimų universitetų JAV. Tai buvo pirmasis universitetas pasaulyje, įsteigęs kosmoso mokslo skyrių. Universiteto dovanotoje žemėje yra NASA Džonsono kosmoso centras. Ryžių universitetas taip pat yra Teksaso medicinos centro, didžiausios pasaulyje medicinos įstaigos, narys. Ryžių universitetas buvo įkurtas iš instituto, kurį sukūrė turtingas pilietis, vardu William Marsh Rice. 1891 m. Jis kartu su savo draugais ir advokatu išnuomojo William Marsh Rice literatūros, mokslo ir meno tobulinimo institutą. Tačiau institutas turėjo būti įkurtas po jo mirties. Po jo mirties 1900 m. Ir kai kurių teisinių kliūčių prasidėjo darbas steigti institutą. 1904 m. Ryžių institutas gavo 4,6 mln. JAV dolerių iš Williamo Rice'o dvaro. Edgaras Odellas Lovettas, aukštos kvalifikacijos matematikas ir astronomas iš Prinstono universiteto, buvo paskirtas prezidentu. Siekdamas sukurti aukščiausių standartų instituciją, Lovett aplankė 78 aukštojo mokslo įstaigas, esančias įvairiose šalyse. Šis institutas vėliau tapo William Marsh Rice universitetu 1960 m. Šiandien Rice universitetas užima 285 akrų miestelį ir jame yra 70 pagrindinių pastatų. Universitetą sudaro architektūros, inžinerijos, humanitarinių mokslų, gamtos mokslų, socialinių ir muzikos mokyklos. Be to, miestelyje yra pažangiausios mokslo ir inžinerijos laboratorijos, kompiuterių paslaugų institutas, meno institutas, ir branduolinių tyrimų laboratorija. Universiteto bibliotekoje, Fondreno bibliotekoje, yra daugiau nei du milijonai knygų, trys milijonai mikroformų ir 16 000 dabartinių serialų ir periodinių leidinių. Beveik ketvirtadalis Ryso universiteto studentų yra nacionaliniai nuopelnų mokslininkai. Universitetas buvo pirmas pagal studentų, gaunančių nacionalines mokslo stipendijas, procentą. Universitetas gali pasigirti 3 milijardų JAV dolerių lėšomis, viena iš penkių geriausių pasaulyje. Beje, universitetas neturėjo mokesčio už mokslą iki 1965 m. Ryžių universitetas užėmė pirmąją vietą tarp 1600 privačių universitetų pagal „Kiplinger's“ geriausią kolegijos vertę Asmeniniai finansai ir pirmiausia už „mažiausią skolos sumą vienam absolventui“ JAV naujienų ir pasaulio ataskaitaRyžių universitetas yra pirmaujantis mokslinių tyrimų universitetas, jame įsikūrę keli tarpdisciplininiai tyrimų institutai. Jie apima Ryžių kvantavimo institutą, Ryžių inžinerijos projektavimo ir plėtros institutą, Kompiuterių ir informacinių technologijų institutą, Nanoskalės mokslo ir technologijų centrą bei Biologinės ir aplinkos nanotechnologijos centrą. Dauguma pradinių dirbtinių širdžių tyrimų ir plėtros buvo atliko Ryžių fakultetas. 1996 m. profesoriai Richardas Smalley ir Robertas Curl iš Ryžių universiteto laimėjo prestižinę Nobelio chemijos premiją už anglies 60 molekulių (buckminsterfullerenes) atradimą ir panaudojimą. Šiuo metu karštoje naujoje nanotechnologijų srityje atliekama daug naujų tyrimų.


Ryžių universitetas - istorija

I. ISTORIJA

Ryžių universitetą iš esmės nulėmė jo įkūrėjų - Williamo Marsho Rice'o ir nedidelės grupės vyrų, kurie atvyko pasidalyti savo planais dėl aukštojo mokslo institucijos, ketinimai. 1891 m. Pavasarį Masačusetso valstijos gyventojas Rice'as, suklestėjęs kaip prekybininkas XIX a. Viduryje Hiustone, nusprendė skirti literatūros, mokslo ir meno pažangos institutą baltųjų vyrų ir moterų mokymui. Hiustone ir Teksase. Išskyrus aiškią afrikiečių kilmės studentų išskyrimą, Rice'ą įkvėpė Stepheno Girardo iš Filadelfijos ir Peterio Cooperio iš Niujorko pavyzdžiai sukurti institutą, pavadintą jo vardu, kuris atliktų mokslinius tyrimus ir teiktų nemokamas pamokas. nepartinė ir ne sektantiška atmosfera. Jis sukūrė septynių patikėtinių valdybą, kuri prižiūrės savo instituto statybą ir valdymą po jo mirties. Tačiau kai 1900 m. Jis buvo nužudytas, jo patikėtinei, vadovaujamai kapitono Jameso A. Bakerio, prireikė daug metų, kad įveiktų Rice'o valios iššūkius, užsitikrintų jo dotaciją (iš pradžių 4,6 mln. Dolerių) ir įsitikintų, kad jo institutas buvo tinkamai pradėtas kurti. . Iki 1907 m. Pabaigos kapitonas Baker ir jo kolegos patikėtiniai baigė kitų universitetų studijas ir pirmuoju Williamo Marsho Rice'o instituto prezidentu pasirinko Edgarą Odellą Lovettą, klasikinio išsilavinimo matematiką, Prinstono universiteto astronomijos vadovą.

Prezidentas Lovettas, palaikomas patikėtinių, palaipsniui tobulino naujojo instituto pobūdį. Jis pradėjo devynių mėnesių turą po pirmaujančius Europos ir Azijos universitetus, norėdamas apmąstyti aukštąjį mokslą ir įdarbinti žymių mokslininkų Rice'ui. Jis grįžo planuoti universiteto, kuris ne tik suteiktų puikų išsilavinimą bakalauro laipsniui - išsilavinimą, apimantį aukštus akademinius standartus, gyvenamųjų kolegijų sistemą ir garbės kodeksą, bet ir atliktų pažangius tyrimus bei apmokytų nedidelį skaičių doktorantų . Tai buvo didingi ir brangūs siekiai. Nors nuo 1904 m. Dotacija labai išaugo, Lovett žinojo, kad iš karto negali turėti visapusiško universiteto, kurį jis įsivaizdavo. Todėl iš pradžių jis turėjo pabrėžti tik mokslą ir inžineriją. Iki 1912 m. Rugsėjo mėn., Kai penkiasdešimt devyni studentai susirinko į pamokas naujame miestelyje-lygioje prerijų aikštelėje, esančioje už Hiustono gatvių,-Rice turėjo keturis pastatus ir nepaprastą tarptautinį fakultetą, fakultetą, kuriame dalyvavo Julianas Huxley iš Oksfordo biologijos, Haroldas A. Wilsonas iš Kembridžo - fizikos ir Griffith C. Evans iš Harvardo - matematikos.

Nors po 1912 m. Rice sparčiai augo beveik du dešimtmečius, lėšų trūkumas depresijos metu privertė trauktis ir išlaikė Rice mažą provincijos kolegiją, kuri iki Antrojo pasaulinio karo pabrėžė mokslą ir inžineriją. Tada nauji lyderiai, turintys daug daugiau išteklių, galėjo pradėti beveik tris dešimtmečius tvaraus augimo, o 1970 m. Priartėjo prie geriau subalansuoto universiteto, kurį prezidentas Lovettas numatė 1912 m. Dėl pajamų iš naftos telkinių, įgytų 1942 m. patikėtinių, Lovett įpėdiniai Williamas V. Houston ir Kenneth S. Pitzer sugebėjo padidinti fakulteto dydį (nuo 58 1938 m. iki 350 1970 m.), įdarbinti daug žinomų mokslininkų (su didesniu atlyginimu ir po 1962 m. paskyrimai), sukurti naujus akademinius skyrius ir statyti įvairius pastatus ne tik klasėms ir laboratorijoms, bet ir gyvenamųjų kolegijų sistemai, kuri pagaliau prasidėjo 1957 m. Šie pakeitimai leido Rice - Rice universitetui nuo 1960 m. priimti daugiau studentų, išplėsti savo mokymo programą ir daugiau dėmesio skirti moksliniams tyrimams ir studijų programoms. Tačiau norėdamas išlaikyti pokyčius-tapti konkurencingu kaip nacionalinis universitetas-Rice siekė pakeisti savo chartiją, leidžiančią nuo 1966 m. Imti santykinai kuklų mokslą ir priimti afroamerikiečių studentus (Rice anksčiau buvo pripažinta „baltaodžiais“ studentais) kitos rasės ir tautinė kilmė).

Nepaisant to, kai 1970 m. Tapo prezidentu Normanas Hackermanas, naujos programos ištempė Rice išteklius iki galo. Hackermanas subalansavo savo biudžetą, pertvarkė „Rice“ į septynias mokyklas (administravimo, architektūros, inžinerijos, humanitarinių mokslų, muzikos, gamtos ir socialinių mokslų) ir padėjo iki 1985 m. Padidinti lėšų nuo 131 iki 680 milijonų dolerių. Jo įpėdiniai George Rupp ir Malcolm Gillis, galėjo tęsti tolesnius plataus užmojo planus, kaip pagerinti ryžius: pagrindiniai kursai bakalauro studentams, daugiau dėstytojų, kurie remia tarpdisciplininius tyrimus (per institutus ir centrus), papildomos studijų programos ir septyni nauji pastatai nuo 1985 iki 1997 m. Dešimtajame dešimtmetyje „Rice“ tapo universitetu, kuriame mokėsi daugiau nei 4000 studentų ir 450 nuolatinių dėstytojų, o jo absolventai ir dėstytojai išsiskyrė įvairiose srityse (nuo 1978 m. Laimėjo Nobelio fizikos ir chemijos premijas bei Pulitzerio grožinės literatūros premiją). ). Tačiau „Rice“ išliko tokia, kokią sumanė jos įkūrėjai: palyginti nedidelis ir nebrangus universitetas, siekiantis meistriškumo bakalauro studijų, mokslinių tyrimų ir riboto studijų programų skaičiaus.

Vadovaujant dabartiniam Rice'o prezidentui Davidui Leebronui, universitetas įstojo į bakalauro studijas 30 procentų, padidino savo tarptautinį profilį, išplėtė savo mokslinių tyrimų įmonę ir sustiprino bendradarbiavimą su Hjustonu. Ryžių miestelis buvo pakeistas dviem naujais gyvenamaisiais kolegijomis, nauju fizikos pastatu, nauju poilsio centru, „BioScience Research Collaborative“ ir viešąja meno programa, be kitų patobulinimų. Šie pokyčiai atspindi prioritetus, suformuluotus Antrojo amžiaus vizijoje, kuri atsirado iš plačių rotušės stiliaus susitikimų su dėstytojais pirmaisiais prezidento Leebrono metais Rice.

Daugiau informacijos apie Ryžių universiteto istoriją ir architektūrą rasite John Boles Taip sukurtas universitetas: trumpa ryžių istorija ir Džeimso Moreheado Ekskursija pėsčiomis po Ryžių universitetą. Kiekvieną iš šių knygų galima įsigyti Ryžių universiteto knygyne.


Ryžių universitetas - istorija

Istorijos katedra

Studentai, kurie mėgsta istoriją ir nori laisvės plačiai tyrinėti praeitį, turėtų apsvarstyti istorijos specialybę.

Docentas Tyrimų sritys: Pietų Azija, Rytų islamo pasaulis, ankstyvoji islamo istorija, Osmanų Artimieji Rytai

George'as ir Nancy Rupp Humanitarinių tyrimų sričių profesoriai: šiuolaikinė Kinijos intelektinė istorija, feministinė teorija, lytis ir socialiniai mokslai

Katherine Tsanoff Brown Humanitarinių tyrimų sričių profesorė: JAV užsienio politika, JAV politinė istorija, aplinkos istorija, pilietinės teisės

Docentas Tyrimų sritys: Atlanto pasaulis, Afrikos diaspora, JAV afroamerikietis

Samuelis G. McCannas Istorijos tyrimų sričių profesorius: Šiuolaikinė Vokietija, Šiuolaikinė Europa, Politika, Teisė ir socialinė mintis, Politinė ekonomija ir mintis, Šiuolaikinė Europos intelektinė istorija

Humanitarinių mokslų dekanas, Andrew W. Mellonas, istorijos profesorius

Barbara Kirkland Chiles Istorijos tyrimų sričių profesorė: JAV ir pasaulis, Artimieji Rytai, modernizacija ir plėtra, Šiuolaikinės JAV

Samuelis W. ir Goldye Marianas Ispanijos docentas Tyrimų sritys: Šiuolaikinė Prancūzija, Šiuolaikinė Europa, Žmogaus teisės ir migracija

Asocijuoto profesoriaus tyrimų sritys: Ankstyvoji Afrika, Atlanto Afrika, Šiuolaikinė Afrika, Afrikos diaspora, vergovė ir panaikinimas

William P. Hobby Amerikos istorijos redaktorius, Pietų istorijos tyrimų sričių žurnalas: Pietų istorija, ekonominė istorija, JAV aplinkos istorija

Asocijuotasis profesorius, Viduramžių ir ankstyvųjų šiuolaikinių studijų programų tyrimų sritys: Viduramžių Europa, Viduramžių Iberija, Viduramžių pasieniai

Profesoriaus padėjėjas Tyrimų sritys: medicinos humanitariniai mokslai, Rytų Azijos mokslo technologijų ir visuomenės studijos (STS), medicinos istorija, mokslo istorija

Docentas adjunktas Ekonomikos mokslinių tyrimų sričių docentas: Meksikos ir Lotynų Amerikos istorija, ekonomikos istorija, visuomenės sveikatos istorija

William Gaines Twyman Istorijos tyrimų sričių profesorius: Senovės Graikija ir Roma, vėlyvoji antika ir ankstyvasis Bizantija

Arabų ir Amerikos švietimo fondo arabų studijų tyrimų srities profesorius: šiuolaikinė arabų istorija, JAV ir arabų santykiai, osmanų istorija, sektantizmas

Katedros pirmininkė Mary Gibbs Jones Humanitarinių mokslų profesorė Istorijos tyrimų sričių profesorius: XIX a. JAV, vergovė ir emancipacija, Amerikos pilietinio karo era, transatlantinis aktyvizmas ir abolicionizmas Socialinė, kultūrinė ir intelektualinė istorija, tarptautinė istorija

Harris Masterson, jaunesnysis, istorijos tyrimų sričių profesorius: Rio de Žaneiras, kolonijinė Brazilija, Atlanto pasaulis

Docentas Tyrimų sritys: kompiuterių technologijos, technologijų naudojimas, negalia, pilietinės teisės

Docentas Politikos, teisės ir socialinių minčių tyrimų sritys: ankstyvoji modernioji Europa, intelektinė ir kultūrinė istorija, politinė ir religinė mintis, švietimo istorija

Joseph ir Joanna Nazro Mullen, humanitarinių mokslų profesorė, bakalauro studijų tyrimų sričių direktorius: Islamo istorija ir kultūra, VII-XV a. Artimųjų Rytų žydų architektūros išsaugojimo istorija islamo žemėse, Kairas Geniza

Profesoriaus Dunlevie šeimos kėdės tyrimų sritys: JAV ir pasaulis, šiuolaikinių tarptautinių santykių istorija, tarptautinė politinė ekonomija, Ramiojo vandenyno pasaulis, pasaulinė sporto istorija

Profesorius Andrew W. Mellonas, nusipelnęs humanitarinių tyrimų sričių profesorius: Ankstyvoji Amerikos istorija, Atlanto istorija, Pietų istorija, Rasės ir vergovės istorija, Indijos istorija

Docentas Tyrimų sritys: teisės istorija, darbo istorija, kapitalizmo istorija, Lotynų Amerikos istorija, Meksikos istorija, pasienio ir imigracijos istorija

Asocijuotasis profesorius Tyrimų sritys: vergovė, vergovė, emancipacija ir diaspora Pasaulinės pietinės pilietinės teisės, žmogaus teisės ir tarptautinė teisė bei moterys, lytis ir seksualumas

John Antony Weir Profesorius Tyrimų sritys: Šiuolaikinė Vokietija, Europos moterys ir lytis, Žmogaus teisės, Šiuolaikinis kolonializmas

Docentas Tyrimų sritys: Amerikos Indijos istorija, Afrikos Amerikos istorija, Pietų istorija

Bakerio koledžo mokslo, technologijų ir inovacijų tyrimų sričių katedros katedra: Europos istorija 1450–1815 m., Europos intelektinė istorija nuo mokslinės revoliucijos iki Prancūzijos revoliucijos, vokiečių idealizmas ir romantizmas, mokslo istorija, Kopernikas iki Darvino


Ryžių universitetas

Ryžių universitetas, privatus, nepriklausomas, bendro ugdymo universitetas Hiustone, atidarytas 1912 m. Kaip Williamo Marsho ryžių institutas. Jį 1891 m. Išsinuomojo buvęs Hiustono pirklis Williamas Marshas Rice'as su 200 000 USD palūkanų priemoka, mokama Ryžių institutui po jo mirties. Vėliau Rice'as institutui suteikė kitų dovanų, kurios visos turėjo būti sumokėtos po jo mirties. Tačiau kai jis mirė 1900 m. Niujorke, jo testamento testamentas nurodė, kad jo turtas turėtų atitekti jo advokatui. Po nuodugnaus tyrimo ir sensacingo tyrimo buvo nustatyta, kad Rice liokajus, susivienijęs su advokatu, surišo ryžius iki mirties, kad surinktų pagal suklastotą testamentą. Kai dvaras buvo atsiskaitytas 1904 m., Institutui buvo skirta maždaug 3 milijonai dolerių kaip atskiras kapitalo fondas, pridėtas prie pradinio fondo, kuris išaugo iki beveik 3,3 milijono dolerių. Tuo metu, kai universitetas buvo atidarytas 1912 m., Dotacija siekė apie 9 mln. JAV dolerių, o tai leido visiems studentams lankyti universitetą nemokant studijų-privilegija, kuri nesibaigė iki 1965 m. į literatūros, mokslo ir meno pažangą “. Hiustono patikėtinių taryba nusprendė, kad tai bus universitetas, ir 1907 m. Prezidentu paskyrė matematiką ir astronomą Edgarą Odellą Lovettą iš Prinstono universiteto, nurodydamas, kaip planuoti naują instituciją. Po kelionių visame pasaulyje, diskusijų ir fakulteto įdarbinimo Lovettas prižiūrėjo atidarymą 1912 m., Pažymėtą sudėtingu tarptautiniu mokslininkų šaukimu. Nuo pat pradžių Lovett ketino „Rice“ būti „aukščiausio lygio universitetu“ ir, nepaisant kelių dešimtmečių finansinio griežtumo, atsiradusio praėjusio dešimtmečio pradžioje, institucija stengėsi išlaikyti šią viziją. Įėjimo į septyniasdešimt septynis studentus klasė turėjo dešimties tarptautinį fakultetą (pavyzdžiui, Julianas Huxley buvo pirmasis biologijos profesorius, o Haroldas Wilsonas iš Kembridžo Cavendisho laboratorijos-fizikos profesorius) ir du pagrindiniai akademiniai pastatai (su Garsios Bostono architektūros firmos „Cram“, „Goodhue“ ir „Ferguson“ parengtas papildomų pastatų planas). The Kūlimo mašina, nepriklausomas studentų laikraštis, prasidėjo 1916 m., ir tais pačiais metais studentų bendruomenė priėmė garbės kodeksą, puoselėtą Ryžių tradiciją. Iki 1924 m. Pirmakursių klasė buvo apribota iki 450, o nuo to laiko bakalauro studijos buvo atidžiai kontroliuojamos. 1987 metais jų buvo apie 2600. Absolventų skaičius pamažu išaugo iki maždaug 1300.

Vadovaujant Lovettui, Ryžių institutas pirmiausia išplėtojo pagrindines mokslų ir inžinerijos kryptis, nors nuo pat pradžių buvo siūlomas išskirtinis humanitarinių mokslų ir architektūros mokymas. Mokymo programa išsiplėtė, o fakultetas po Antrojo pasaulinio karo labai išaugo, vadovaujant fizikui Williamui V. Houstonui (1946–1960 m.), Kaip pripažino 1960 m. Pasikeitęs pavadinimas į Rice universitetą. Nemažai naujų pastatų buvo pastatyti dviem augimo laikotarpiais - 1940 -ųjų pabaigoje ir 1950 -ųjų pabaigoje. Baigiamasis darbas, esantis nuo pat pradžių, buvo išplėstas. 1987 m. Aukštieji laipsniai buvo siūlomi daugiau nei trisdešimtyje sričių. Moraliniai, socialiniai ir ekonominiai reikalavimai paskatino universitetą 1964 m. Sėkmingai siekti teisinės galios sulaužyti steigėjo chartiją dviem atžvilgiais: leidimas priimti studentus neatsižvelgiant į rasę ir apmokestinti kukliai. Tolesnė plėtra, ypač humanitarinių ir socialinių mokslų srityse, įvyko praėjusio amžiaus septintajame ir aštuntajame dešimtmečiuose, kai buvo administruojami chemikai Kenneth S. Pitzer (1961–68) ir Normanas Hackermanas (1970–85). 1961 m. Nacionalinė aeronautikos ir kosmoso administracija Rice'o prieinamoje žemėje įkūrė Pilotų kosminių skrydžių centrą (dabar - Lyndono B. Johnsono kosmoso centras), o 1962 m. Universitetas įsteigė pirmąjį šalies kosmoso mokslo skyrių. The Pietų istorijos žurnalas „Rice“ publikuojamas nuo 1959 m Anglų literatūros studijos buvo įkurta Rice 1961 m Jeffersono Daviso darbai projekto būstinė yra Ryse nuo 1963 m. 1985 m. liepos mėn Ryžių universiteto studijos (anksčiau Ryžių instituto lankstinukas, prasidėjo 1915 m.) tapo „Rice University Press“. Ganytojų muzikos mokykla ir Jesse H. Joneso administravimo mokykla buvo pridėtos atitinkamai 1973 ir 1976 m.

1985 m. Liepos mėn. Teologas George'as E. Ruppas iš Harvardo dieviškosios mokyklos tapo penktuoju Rice'o prezidentu. Jam perimant universitetą, fakultete buvo maždaug 420, jame mokėsi kiek mažiau nei 4000 studentų. Miestelyje yra keturiasdešimt architektūriškai nuoseklių pastatų, sugrupuotų keturkampiais po gražiais gyvais ąžuolais, 300 arų miestelyje Hiustono centre. 1987 m. Dotacija sudarė daugiau nei 750 milijonų JAV dolerių, tai yra didžiausias iš visų privačių universitetų pietuose. Maža bakalauro studentų grupė yra viena iš labiausiai išrinktų šalyje, jos vidutiniai SAT balai yra daugiau nei 1300 ir vienas didžiausių nacionalinių nuopelnų stipendijų laimėtojų procentų. Studentų grupė, anksčiau daugiausia kilusi iš Teksaso, dabar daugiausia yra ne teksasiečių, o santykinai mažas mokslas leidžia ekonomiškai įvairioms studentų grupėms, tačiau tai, kas labiausiai formuoja Ryso charakterį, yra neįprastas studentų akademinis talentas. Beveik paradoksalu, tačiau 73 tūkst. Vietų stadioną turintis Rice'as ir toliau dirbo Pietvakarių konferencijos nariu, kol ši sportininkų sąjunga pasibaigė. Negalima leisti jokių brolijų ar draugijų. Visi bakalauro laipsnio studentai yra priskirti vienai iš aštuonių gyvenamųjų kolegijų (sistema buvo sukurta 1957 m.), Aplink kurią vyksta pramoginė, kultūrinė, švietimo ir vyriausybinė veikla. 1993 m. Duke universiteto ekonomistas ir dekanas Malcolmas Gillisas tapo šeštuoju prezidentu.

Ryžių universitetas turi įvairias mokslinių tyrimų priemones ir laboratorijas. „Fondren“ bibliotekoje yra daugiau nei 1,3 milijono tomų ir 1,6 milijono mikroformų ir prenumeruojama maždaug 11 000 serijinių pavadinimų. Tai yra Jungtinių Valstijų vyriausybės dokumentų ir patentų depozitoriumas ir surašymo duomenų universitetas. Retos knygos, rankraščiai ir universiteto archyvai yra bibliotekos Woodson tyrimų centre. Biblioteka yra ypač stipri Teksaso medžiagoje, Konfederacijos įspauduose ir XVIII amžiaus anglų dramoje, joje saugomi sero Juliano Huxley dokumentai ir biblioteka. Dvi pagrindinės mokslinės kolekcijos yra Andersono aeronautikos istorijos kolekcija ir Džonsono kosmoso centro istorijos archyvas. Universiteto pagrindinė kompiuterinė įranga yra Kompiuterių paslaugų ir programų institutas. Yra daugybė kitų kompiuterių įrenginių, esančių kitoje universiteto vietoje. Ryžiai taip pat yra susiję su Hiustono srities tyrimų centru, konsorciumu, kurį remia Rice, Teksaso universitetas, Teksaso A&M universitetas ir Hiustono universitetas. Ryžių miestelyje yra keletas tarpdisciplininių tyrimų institutų ir centrų, įskaitant Ryžių kvantumo institutą, Ryžių inžinerinio projektavimo ir plėtros institutą bei Kompiuterių ir informacinių technologijų institutą. Ryžių bendruomenės dizaino ir tyrimų centras, įsikūręs už miestelio ribų, užsiima miesto planavimu. Tęstinių studijų biuras tūkstančiams Hiustono gyventojų kasmet siūlo daugybę įvairių nekreditinio praturtinimo ir techninių trumpų kursų. 1990 m. Rice surengė kasmetinę JAV, Kanados, Japonijos ir Vakarų Europos šalių G-7 ekonominę konferenciją. Rice'o tikslas buvo sujungti laisvųjų menų kolegijos mokymo akcentą su mokslinio universiteto stipendija. 1991 m. „Rice“ buvo įtraukta į geriausių šalies mokyklų šimtuką kaip „geriausias pirkinys“ švietimo srityje. 1992–1993 m. Rice universitete buvo 462 dėstytojai ir 4 268 studentai, o 1992 m. Vasaros sesijoje - 723 dėstytojai.


Ryžių universitetas - istorija

Johno O'Neilo kvietimas į ryžius: 1965 m. Pavasaris

1965 metų pavasarį, Savo kabinete Oklahomos universiteto Meno mokykloje Normane sulaukiau telefono skambučio iš neseniai atvykusios Raiso universiteto Architektūros katedros mokytojos Elinor Evans. Elinor, iš pagrindinio vizualinio dizaino, menininkė, įgijusi magistro laipsnį Jelyje, kur mokėsi pas Josefą Albersą, skambino man, kad Rice norėtų įsteigti Dailiųjų menų skyrių kaip humanitarinių mokslų sritį ir buvo paprašyta rekomenduoti pirmininku būti menininkui ar meno istorikui. Ar man būtų įdomu?

Ką tik baigęs keturiolika metų kaip Normano meno mokyklos, mokyklos, turinčios keturiolika fakultetų, 1934 m. Studijų programą, du šimtus meno specialybių ir gerbiamą meno muziejų, profesorius ir direktorius, susidomėjau pokyčiais. švelnus. Tačiau aš išsiunčiau raštą Philipui Wadsworthui, tuometiniam Rice humanitarinių mokslų dekanui, prašydamas informacijos. Po to pasikeitė laiškai, paskui skambino Wadsworthas, prašydamas atvykti į Hiustoną ir susitikti su keliais architektūros fakulteto nariais ir kitais susijusiais mokslais. Susitikimas buvo žemas, jis vyko daugiausiai prieš ir po pietų Koheno namų fakulteto klube. Buvo sunku rasti kambarį mano viešnagei Hiustone, nes tuo metu vyko „Astrodome“ atidarymo šventės. Man buvo suteiktas kambarys Holcombe gatvės motelyje, kur oro kondicionierius iškart sugedo, todėl mano vertinimas apie Hiustoną šiuo metu buvo gana žemas.

Pirma kelionė į ryžius

Vizito metu sužinojau, kad pastaraisiais metais Ryžių miestelyje buvo mokomi meno kūriniai, visi architektūros departamento nariai: Jamesas Chillmanas, jaunesnysis, išėjęs į pensiją dailės muziejaus direktorius Hiustone, ir Katherine Tsanoff Brown, baigęs Rice'ą ir Cornellą, dėstė kelis pagrindinius meno istorijos kursus, kaip ir Jasper Rose, lankytojas iš Anglijos, vienerių metų trukmės susitikimas „Rice“. Džasperas išvyko 1965 m., Kad sutiktų susitikimą su Kalifornijos universiteto Santa Kruso mokymo personalu, bet ne anksčiau, kaip nustebino Ryžių miestelį dėvėdamas akademines regalijas. Eidamas per keturkampį savo ryškiais ir tekančiais chalatais, jis susitiko su tuometiniu prezidentu Kennethu Pitzeriu, kuris paklausė, kokia šventinė proga. Džasperas atsakė: „O aš apsimetu, kad tai universitetas!

Jasperis taip pat dėstė tapybos kursus „Rice“, o 1964 mokslo metų pabaigoje surengė pirmą kartą meno studentų parodą. Studijos zonoje jis taip pat turėjo kolegą Davidą Parsonsą, kurį Jimmy Chillmanas, Hiustono dailės muziejaus direktorius emeritas, rekomendavo architektūros studentams išmokyti pradėti piešti ir skulptūrą.

Jei Jasperis Rose nelabai galvojo apie Rice'ą kaip apie universitetą, tai galėjo būti dėl to, kad jis pakeitė šį pavadinimą tik 1962 m., Anksčiau buvo Rice Institute. Naujoji koncepcija įsitvirtino lėtai. Susidomėjimas miesteliu steigiant Dailės katedrą (vėliau bus suteiktas tikslesnis pavadinimas: Menas ir meno istorija) atrodė ne entuziastingas. Kai kurie vyresnio amžiaus dėstytojai iš tikrųjų buvo priešiški. Tačiau buvo stengiamasi rasti tinkamą patalpą skyriui bent laikinai. Buvo svarstomas maisto paslaugų pastato rūsys (galiausiai atsisakyta idėjos: virimo kvapai susilieja su aliejiniais dažais!), Buvo išnagrinėta namo nuoma ar pirkimas miestelio pakraštyje, kaip ir laikinos plieninės konstrukcijos pastatymas. Paskutinis variantas buvo pasirinktas vietoje, esančioje trasos stadiono šešėlyje: tai turėjo būti studijos kursai. Meno istorijoje pozicija jau buvo paskelbta ir Williamui Kane'ui buvo priimta.

Ekskursija po miestelį

Ekskursijos po miestelį metu pastebėjau, kad paskaitų kambariai ir studijos kambariai, visi įsikūrę Andersono salėje, yra chaotiški: senų, kartais sulūžusių baldų, šiukšlių, vatos popieriaus ir apleistų studentų paveikslų. Visas Ryžių miestelis atrodė beveik agresyviai anti-vizualus. Jacques Lipshitz bronza iš Gertrūdos Stein, prastai parodyta Fondreno bibliotekoje, šioje akademinės bendruomenės kišenėje nešė vieno meno kūrinio naštą. Grįžau į Oklahomą suprasdamas, kad nors Rice turėjo puikią mokslo ir inžinerijos reputaciją, bet koks meno skirtumas būtų sunkiai pasiekiamas.

Siūlomas paskyrimas profesoriumi ir dailės pirmininku

Netrukus po to, kai grįžau į Normaną, paskambino telefonas, po to sekė dekano Wadswortho laiškas: jis pasiūlė man paskirti profesorių ir Dailės katedros pirmininką. Aš atidėjau sprendimą, kol galėjau aptarti pasiūlymą su savo dekanu, daktaru Donaldu Clarku. Aš maniau, kad Rice reikia pagalbos, kurią maniau turinti kvalifikuotai, ir buvo sudarytas planas, kad aš turėčiau vienerių metų atostogas iš Oklahomos ir eisiu į Rice'ą kaip lankytojas ir laikinai einantis pirmininko pareigas, pasitraukdamas nuo šių pareigų, kai departamentas buvo pradėtas kurti. . Rice sutiko su planu.

Atvykimas kaip pirmasis Dailės katedros pirmininkas

1965 m. Rudens semestre pasirodė Dailės katedra ir buvo patvirtinta pagrindinė mokymo programa. Mokymo personalas buvo Katherine Brown, Davidas Parsonsas, Williamas Kane'as, Jamesas Chillmanas ir aš. Tie trys gana niūrūs departamentų kabinetai, vienas su langu ir du be jo, buvo paskirti mums Fondreno bibliotekos rūsyje. Piešimo ir tapybos studijos studijos prasidėjo laikinajame plieniniame pastate, esančiame liūne. Vienas drąsus studentas Paulius Pfeifferis jaunesnysis nusprendė rizikuoti tapti meno specialistu.

Prasideda fakulteto paieškos

Prasidėjo nuolatinio studijos instruktoriaus paieška, taip pat pakeistas Billas Kane'as, kuris atsisakė pasibaisėti dėl primityvių darbo sąlygų, išteklių skurdo, drėgno, karšto klimato ir tų metų potvynio, paskatinusio vieną studentą. miesteliui pavadinti Williamo Rice‘o pelkę. Batai, skėčiai ir lietpalčiai tapo būtina studento atributika.

Applications arrived for both the art history and studio positions. We invited portfolios of their work from fourteen artists, and narrowed the art history search to Martha Caldwell, who was eventually appointed. During the search, a new wing for Fondren Library was under construction. During the spring semester of 1966, a violent storm sent fourteen inches of water into our basement offices, inundating and ruining work in the artists’ portfolios—we had little furniture and storage space at the time the floor served as a convenient table. Slides and books belonging to Kane, Brown, and Chillman were also water soaked. When the waters subsided, we also discovered that a group of Henry Miller watercolors, given to us just a week before by the architecture department, had been washed bone clean.

Insurance covered the losses, but paying claims spread over an entire year. All the studio applicants had to be informed, and asked to state the value of their destroyed work—some, it seemed, hadn’t sold much and thought the event to be a personal bonanza!

Professor Havens Joins the Department of Fine Arts

When something resembling normalcy appeared, Neil Havens, the director of Rice Players, came in to inform us that the English Department was releasing him so that he could join the Fine Arts faculty.

The Department's First Move

President Pitzer, taking on our recent soggy state, said we would be moved to the second floor of Allen Center, the business office, as soon as that building was complete. I asked for the space there to include a departmental art gallery, together with a small budget to purchase works of art to form a teaching collection both requests were approved.

The Second Annual Student Art Exhibition

The second annual art students’ exhibition was staged at the Rice Memorial Center (RMC) it seemed to signal a change in the visual atmosphere of the campus. However, at the end of the spring 1966 semester, the department was still struggling to develop I therefore petitioned Oklahoma for a one-year extension of my leave, since I couldn’t face leaving so many loose ends at Rice. This, too, was approved.

Arrival to Allen Center

In the fall of 1967, we moved to new quarters in Allen Center a set of small offices, but the gallery was a clean, luminous space. The initial exhibition was attended by Houston notables, including Oveta Culp Hobby. Six exhibitions were staged for the first season, including those of the California painter John Tomas, ink drawings by Dorothy Hood (one of which, later stolen, had been given to the department by Meredith Long) photography by Geoff Winningham selected form his masters’ exhibition at the School of Design in Chicago, and concluding with the third annual student show, which caused some campus ripples. Jim Simmons, head of Buildings and Grounds, objected fiercely to an overflow of student work being shown in the halls of Allen Center, which forced us to stay within the gallery limits.

Department Faculty

The contract for Martha Caldwell was not renewed we searched for a replacement. Earl Staley, a recent MFA graduate of the University of Arkansas, was appointed to teach printmaking and drawing, the printmaking equipment having already been purchased. The slide collection was begun with Juwil Topazio as curator. In the past, only large class lantern slides in black-and-white were used for lectures. Winningham, then teaching at the University of St. Thomas, was employed to photograph the glass slides and reduce them to a 35mm format.

A decision had to be made about my pending return to Oklahoma. Dr. Pitzer was very persuasive in encouraging me to remain permanently at Rice, and after a difficult time of indecision, I agreed to do so. He had assured me that future building plans included a new structure to house Art and Architecture. Such a plan was actually drawn, but rejected because of the then excessive cost of seven million dollars. An alternative, but temporary, space for Art was then included in the planning of Sewall Hall, a gift of Blanche Sewall. At this stage, Dr. Pitzer was offered the presidency of Stanford University, which he accepted. Fine Arts was thus abandoned to its fate by a powerful friend.

Although I found Rice University a sterile, even bleak environment, Houston itself showed stirrings of a vigorous cultural life: The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, under James Johnson Sweeney staged superb exhibitions in the grand space of Cullinan Hall the University of St. Thomas history of art program and its extraordinary fine exhibitions directed by Dominique de Menil with the support of her husband John gave a unique and blazing life to the intellectual and cultural milieu. Rice could only dream of achieving a parallel art order. There was also the courageous Contemporary Arts Museum, housed in a small building on the Prudential Insurance grounds. Sebastian “Lefty” Adler arrived in 1966 to direct it in a series of spirited exhibitions. The Houston Symphony, the Houston Grand Opera, and the Alley Theater were well established and supported. Commercial galleries such as Kiko and Louisiana & Bute were appearing. There was a very heady feeling in Houston that almost anything of worth in the arts could be accomplished, and with enthusiasm.

Art in the Department of Fine Arts

A few gifts to the department appeared, the first from the estate of the portrait painter Tamera de Kuffner, mostly decorative objects—furniture, silverware, and crystal—that went to enhance Cohen House interior.

In 1967-68, the departmental gallery began its second season. Sometime that year, there were rumors that the de Menils were dissatisfied with certain aspects of their role at the University of St. Thomas. Shortly thereafter, Dean Tapazio came to me with the startling news that John and Dominique de Menil had proposed that the entire spectrum of art activity at St. Thomas be shifted to Rice University, a wedding without precedent. The shift would include the group of four art historians, as well as the art library, the slide collection and curator, the exhibition program with its technical staff, the photography and film program (designated not very happily “media”) with two instructors, plus generous funds to fuel the various activities. We were enthusiastic, but some Rice administrators observed that the de Menils “had a poor track record” in educational support and that the proposed merger was “unprecedented,” as indeed it was.

Jean and Dominique de Menil Arrive on Campus

Thus began months of negotiation, sometimes on campus, but frequently at the de Menil residence on San Felipe, at dinner parties, at the faculty club, and at the then Criterion Club. There were many sticking points: there was no room at Rice for such a large group of people with attendant equipment, Sewall Hall, with one portion planned to house a small art department and a departmental gallery, would be inadequate. Many of the de Menil proposals were extraordinary: at one point John de Menil asked me to go to the president and ask him to stop the Sewall Hall construction, a structure which at that time was rising above ground! The request was, of course, refused by me, but John nonetheless offered to erect another building, a true art center, to be designed by a distinguished architect. For the immediate solution, however, he wanted to build a temporary structure, brick faced, to be situated near Fondren Library. The Board rejected this because the architectural style was in conflict with the Rice tradition. The longer-term plan was then followed, and a de Menil invitation to Louis Kahn, brought back a second time by Rice, produced a few preliminary sketches by him. A short time later, Kahn, dead of a heart attack in New York, brought a great dream to an end.

To help solve the space problem, we decided to close the gallery temporarily in order to create office space for the St. Thomas group, and the de Menils finally decided to build two temporary structures, of neutral design, at a point distant from the main campus. One in time was referred to as The Barn, which housed exhibitions, work space, and some studio space next door, but not quite a clone, was the Media Center. Dominique de Menil, who had been art chair at St. Thomas, became at Rice the director of the Institute for the Arts, created especially for her.

A frenzy of activity ensued. Moved to the Rice campus were art historians William Camfield, Mino Badner, Philip Oliver-Smith, and Walter Widrig. Juwil Topazio graciously resigned her slide curator post which was then given to Pat Toomey. John de Menil wanted Gerald O’Grady and Geoff Winningham to teach in the Media program, but strong objections by the Rice English faculty blocked the appointment of O’Grady, a Chaucerian scholar who had been given three teaching awards at Rice, but had been denied tenure for reasons unclear. O’Grady did not go down to defeat quietly. After one of several conferences with Dean Topazio, he was described as being “a windmill of words.” I had enrolled in a film course at St. Thomas with O’Grady and thought him an unusually fine instructor, the flow of language put to good use.

1969 was a year of upheaval on campus, as on other campuses. A new president to replace Pitzer, Dr. William H. Masterson—a former Rice faculty member—faced a protest to the appointment by a united student and faculty group. Masterson sensibly decided to forfeit the appointment. National protests also against the war in Vietnam resulted here in a brief occupation by students of Allen Center.

Earl Staley’s appointment at the termination of his three-year contract was not renewed. Earl had been hired as a printmaker, but decided he wanted to teach painting instead, and since he was a young artist without many credentials, the department decided to look for a replacement. Before his departure, I had asked Earl to have a solo show on campus—this was before the gallery opened. The exhibition was staged in the Hamman Hall lobby the work was vigorous and somewhat erotic, and accompanied the Rice Players presentation of Edward Albee’s Tiny Alice. A poster commemorated both events.

The Institute for the Arts

The Institute for the Arts held its first exhibition, a marvelous one titled, “The Machine,” co-sponsored by the Museum of Modern Art. Shortly thereafter, the Media Center (actually part of the Fine Arts Department) began giving courses in film with James Blue as instructor. In order to inaugurate the center, John de Menil had proposed that a new film by Andy Warhol be previewed by the faculty, students, administrators, and staff in the Grand Hall of the Rice Memorial Center. This was done. The film was “Lonesome Cowboys,” which in the atmosphere of 1969 might have been considered titillating. Warhol and attendant “family” members, Ultra Violent and others, paraded in front of the audience before the film began. The following day, several members of the administration called on me in my office. The usual reaction to the film event ranged from dislike to distaste. These opinions also applied to the notion of any art activity at all on campus, expressed in such questions as “Mr. O’Neil, just what do you have in mind for the future of the Fine Arts Department?” My answer to that was: “A vital and vigorous creative and scholarly discipline, open to the examination of all ideas in the visual arts, and the study and interpretation of the history of art.” The then dean of the graduate area, however, rather stubbornly insisted that “art doesn’t belong at Rice because student accomplishment cannot be accurately graded.” (!)

Dominique de Menil, Dan Tapazio, and myself were appointed as a trio to make decisions about how that future of the arts could be realized. At my request, Dominique and I met in order to prepare a budget proposal for the coming year, and then submit it to Tapazio. Dominique seemed genuinely surprised when I asked her to put together a budget for the Institute for the Arts major exhibition program. She replied, “we always just pay for whatever expenses there are.” I realized then that the future, at least for several years, was going to be a wild ride.

Plans for a Move to New Facilities in Sewall Hall

Plans for Sewall Hall had to be revised in order to make room for the increased number of faculty and staff. Space needed to be found for the arriving Art Library and the de Menil teaching collection. Even though a small, but pleasant, departmental gallery was provided, together with an adjacent loading dock, storage areas, and both a freight elevator and a passenger elevator, none of the dozens of people who pored over the blue-prints ever realized that there was no connection above ground between the two wings of the building, nor was this critical fact mentioned by the architects. Thus the Fine Arts area, with the exception of sculpture and gallery, emerged elevatorless.

Rice Media Center

The Rice University Media Center, an integral part of the arts at Rice University, was founded in 1969 by international art patrons Jean and Dominique de Menil, with scholar Gerald O'Grady as a consultant. The founders' intent was, essentially, that the Rice Media Center building provide a channel through which different peoples of the world could communicate. The legendary vision of the de Menil family was fulfilled by the creation of the Rice Media Center building, the Department of Art and Art History and Institute for the Arts which today exists as the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts , Department of Art History and the Rice Cinema Program.


The Rice Media Center and the Institute of the Arts buildings were designed by Houston architect Eugene Aubrey who, at the time, was partnered with architect Howard Barnstone (Barnstone and Aubrey). During the early design stages, Rice scholar Gerald O'Grady met and consulted with Aubrey on the design of the Rice Media Center building. The de Menil's vision for the center was to use the media of film and photography and art as an educational tool in both research and teaching, and to unite different branches of education. The official opening of the Media Center was held in February 1970. Andy Warhol, during a visit that same year, planted a tree with Dominique de Menil's assistance in front of the Institute for the Arts. The Institute building is now the Glasscock School of Continuing Studies and the Rice Media Center building is now occupied by the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts. Both buildings and the Warhol tree remain on the Rice Campus to this day, another tremendous gift to the City of Houston and University, from the de Menils.

Film at the Rice Media Center--the Early Years

The ideas surrounding the creation of a space like the Rice Media Center attracted filmmakers who were interested in observational cinema, or cinéma vérité, (the Direct Cinema movement) which is an important impetus to the development of Visual Anthropology today. Among those who engaged the Rice community were Colin Young, then Dean of Arts at UCLA, and renowned filmmaker and director of the Italian School, Roberto Rossellini, along with Frantizek Daniel, renowned director of the Prauge Film School, who each visited the Media Center to conduct meetings and workshops periodically in order to engage and introduce students, faculty and community to this new wave of filmmaking.

In 1970-1971 David MacDougall, who had studied under Colin Young, came to Rice as an ethnographic filmmaker from UCLA. Additionally, the de Menils also brought a young documentary filmmaker to Houston to co-direct the center, Academy Award nominee James Blue. Blue and MacDougal encouraged students of all disciplines to see themselves as filmmakers, and they brought a regular flow of visiting directors to campus. Under the co-directorship of Blue and MacDougall, along with Menil support, the Rice Media Center received federal grants to purchase 8mm film and editing equipment with the intent for it to be made available to use by the public.

During this period, MacDougall and Blue received a Guggenheim fellowship and a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities to make one of the most well-known ethnographic documentary films entitled Kenya Boran at the Rice Media Center . Both MacDougall and Blue were Co-Directors of the Media Center until 1975 when MacDougal left to become Director of the Film Unit at the Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies .

Teaching and fiscal operations of the Media Center became part of the Art and Art History Department soon after this period. Brian Huberman, Associate Professor, was recruited by James Blue from the National Film and Television School, U.K. in 1975. Together Huberman and Blue taught courses in production and collaboratively and independently produced several documentary films until Blue's departure in the late 1970's. Brian Huberman's film work includes To Put Away the Gods (1983), The Making of John Wayne's THE ALAMO (1992) and most recent film The De la Peña Diary (2003) . Huberman's filmmaking and teaching continues to this day for the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts.

Photography at Rice Media Center-Early Years

As a part of the strong interest in an observational style, a documentary image -language, Geoff Winningham was recruited by Gerald O'Grady from the University of St. Thomas in 1969, to come to Rice University to teach photography. During the early years of the Rice Media Center opening (1969-70) brought some very important photographers such as Robert Frank, John Szarkowski, Aaron Siskind, Frederick Sommer, and others to the Rice Media Center for a lecture series. The series included an exhibition of over 60 photographs, on loan just for this show from the Museum of Modern Art, New York (where Jean de Menil was a trustee at the time). Over the years, Professor Geoff Winningham has produced several films and authored many books including Friday Night in the Coliseum (1971), Going Texan (1972) and Rites of the Fall (1978) and his most recent book, Along the Forgotten River (2003). He continues his photography work and teaching for the Department of Visual and Dramatic Arts to this day.

Rice Cinema

For more than 35 years , the Rice Cinema has continued to screen films from around the world—foreign features, shorts, documentaries, and animation. Rice Cinema reaches beyond the university's hedges to the diverse communities of Houston. We offer a living alternative to the monolithic commercial cinema of Hollywood and have screened films from every continent. Among the internationally known filmmakers who have appeared on our campus over the years include Werner Herzog, Rakhshan Banietemad, Atom Egoyan, Shirin Neshat, Martin Scorsese, Andy Warhol, George Lucas, Fernando E. Solanas, Albert Maysles and Dennis Hopper.

Rice Cinema works in concert with our academic programs to enrich our students' undergraduate experience. Our film students are provided state-of-the-art screening facilities to examine and study the historical and methodological aspects of movies from around the world in 16, 35, or 70 millimeter with Dolby Digital Sound. Film production students can showcase their work during the academic year on our new silver screen in recently renovated projection facilities.


Come experience art at 24 frames per second at the Rice Cinema. Rice Cinema operates during the academic year screening films almost every weekend. To find out what is playing, call the informational telephone line at 713-348-4853

Rice Cinema: Celebrating Almost 50 Years of Notable Guests

(Excerpts from these passages below have been taken from an article by Lia Unrau of Rice News on 9/14/95)

In the early '70s,' Andy Warhol premiered his violent Lonesome Cowboys to the largest Media Center audience in history. Italian neo-realist director Michelangelo Antonioni, known for Blow Up screened his work, as did Martin Scorcese and Milos Forman. A promising young director named George Lucas showed his original version of THX 1138.

Also in the '70s, The Big Parade director King Vidor, a Galveston native, told students and audiences about the silver screen, and George Stevens (Giant) and Frank Capra (It's a Wonderful Life) passed on insight from their experiences during some 30 years in the business.

Audiences leaned back and looked to the ceiling as two avant-garde experimenters, Ed Emschwiller and Stan Vanderbeek, projected psychedelic images over head it was, after all, the '70s.

The early '80s brought a strange Dennis Hopper. Following his"performance," in which he refused to come out on stage and the audience watched on video monitors as he spoke from behind stage, (witnesses aren't sure what he spoke about), he invited the sell-out crowd to watch as he blew himself up in the Russian Dynamite Death Chair Act.

Sam Peckinpah, well-known for his westerns, like The Wild Bunch, made the last public appearance of his career at Rice. At the time, his films were controversial in terms of violence, but they might seem mild by today's standards.

British director Richard Lester visited campus to reflect about the Beatles during filming of A Hard Day's Night and Help, and ended up running the camera for George Rupp's presidential inauguration in 1985.

In 1987 Isabella Rossellini participated in a retrospective of her father's work. While Roberto Rossellini was at Rice he set to work on a film for television called Science, based on the work of Rice scientists, scheduled to be 10 hours long. Although frames exist, the project was never completed.

In 1991, Spike Lee and his whole family rolled up in a limousine to sneak preview Do the Right Thing. Lee led an emotionally charged discussion with the sell-out crowd following the film.


1960s

Rayzor Hall

Rayzor Hall was designed by Staub, Rather & Howze. Named for lawyer, towing company executive and alumnus trustee J. Newton Rayzor '17 and his wife Eugenia Porter Rayzor, the building housed School of Humanities until the Humanities Building was built in 2000. The building now houses the Center for Languages and Intercultural Communication.

Brown College - “The Tower”

With Jones College being the only all women's college on campus, there was a severe housing shortage for Rice women in the 60's. Through the generous donation of George R. Brown and his wife Alice Pratt Brown, a new women's residential college was established in the memory of their sister-in-law, Margarett Root Brown. The original building became known as “The Tower” after Brown College was expanded in 2002.

Rice Health Center (Formerly Brown College Commons)

The original building of the Brown College Commons, located next to the dormitory tower, served as the College’s dining hall for nearly 50 years. However, when Brown College expanded in 2002, a new commons was built and the original commons became the building for the Rice Health Center.

Ryon Engineering Laboratory

Designed by architects Wirtz, Calhoun, Tungate & Jackson, Ryon Engineering Laboratory was built with a gift from Lewis B. Ryon, Jr., professor emeritus of civil engineering, and his wife Mae E. Ryon. When it comes to concrete batching and curing, strength testing, welding and machining, Ryon Lab has been the go-to place for Rice’s civil, environmental and mechanical engineering faculty and students.

Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen (Formerly Hicks Kitchen)

Hicks Kitchen was originally the central food-service kitchen on campus, but then became storage space after North and South Kitchen Serveries were built in 2002. In 2009, Hicks Kitchen was completely renovated with a generous gift from Rice University alumnus and trustee M. Kenneth Oshman ’62 and his wife Barbara to established the Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen (OEDK). The OEDK includes conference rooms, a classroom, a wet lab, rapid prototyping equipment, large-format printers, a designated woodworking area, a machine shop and access to a welding shop, providing engineering students with the space and resources to complete their design projects. The OEDK is the first renovated building on campus to be LEED Gold-Certified.

Space Science and Technology Building

Immediately following former President John F. Kennedy space exploration address in Rice Stadium in 1662, Rice became the first university to establish a space science department. The Space Science and Technology building was built a few years later to house the department.

Allen Center

Designed by architects Lloyd, Morgan & Jones, the Allen Business Center honors Rice donor and governor Herbert Allen and his wife Helen Allen. In 1987, Trustees authorized a 4th-floor expansion. The Allen Business Center houses the President’s Office.

Herman Brown Hall for Mathematical Sciences

Funds by the Brown Foundation and from a National Science Foundation Systems Grant, the Herman Brown Hall for Mathematical Sciences is named for Trustee George R. Brown's elder brother and business partner. Architects George Pierce and Abel B. Pierce designed the building.

Lovett College

Named after Rice's first president, Edgar Odell Lovett College is a six-story residential dorm with distinctive brutalist architecture. The concrete grating that surrounds the third, fourth, and fifth floors is a design feature intended to make Lovett riot-proof in reaction to the student riots of the late 1960’s. This grating now protects Lovett students from hurricanes, allowing the students of Lovett College to remain in their rooms through both Hurricane Rita and the most recent Hurricane Ike.


MOB History and Traditions

The Rice Owl Band was formed by 12 students in 1916 and was built upon interest in band activities and the reading of band literature. The band increased to about 50 members when Lee Chatham became director in 1922. During this period, however, there were few high school bands, and so the main body of membership was supplied through civic or municipal bands and private teachers.


The Rice Band in 1916

Following Mr. Chatham’s retirement in 1938, Mr. Kit Reid became director. During the period of World War II, the supply of band personnel was very unstable, so toward the end of the war, Hugh Saye and Dick Kincheloe formed a band of Navy cadets under the V-12 program. This group was supplemented by civilians from the student body. After the war, the band was reorganized and the first women, four majorettes, were added to the previously all-male organization. Neel Cotton completed the academic year as director following Mr. Reid’s retirement in 1950.

In 1951, Holmes McNeely became director and instituted a building program of both equipment and personnel. Mr. McNeely was the first to offer a number of band scholarships to students involved with the Rice Owl Band. At this time, women musicians were added to the band for the first time. Upon the retirement of Mr. McNeely in 1967, Mr. Bert Roth took charge of the band activities. In the fall of 1968, every qualified member of the Rice Owl Band was given a work scholarship in recognition of their participation.

In 1970, the Rice Owl Band broke with tradition and introduced timely and sometimes controversial topics into their halftime activities. With their tongues firmly planted in their cheeks, the band parodied politics, life at Rice, and other members of the Southwest Conference, using the brains that Rice is famous for, rather than brawn. The band also gradually stopped marching at this time and began the “scattering” that it is now famous for. This type of entertainment proved popular with band members as well as with the student body.


Angry A&M fans after the 1973 show

Dr. Ken Dye took over the director’s job in 1980. By emphasizing musical quality and contemporary show design, the band (now called the Marching Owl Band, or MOB) was able to entertain a larger audience. His first year marked the beginning of the jazz ensemble and the granting of credit for the concert band. In 1982, Dye updated the MOB’s uniforms, and the MOB donned their trademark gray felt fedoras for the very first time.


Ken Dye with the MOB

Dr. Dye’s tenure at Rice saw MOBsters perform at the Opening Ceremonies of the 1984 Olympics, the 1985 Presidential Inauguration, the 1986 Statue of Liberty Celebration and U.S. Olympic Festival, and the 1993 Carnivale in Nice, France. Dr. Dye believed that travel was an important part of any major college band. During his time as MOB director, the band took trips to places as far afield as Notre Dame and the campuses of all three U.S. Service Academies. The MOB also took shorter trips to SMU, TCU, and Tulane University.

Dr. Dye’s single greatest legacy lies with his tremendous talent for arranging music for bands. During his time at Rice, he arranged literally hundreds of tunes for the MOB to perform. Our music library overflows with his first-class arrangements of many rock, jazz, and blues standards. When it comes to playing great music, the MOB has long been among the best college bands in the country — a tradition that it will uphold for years to come.

In spring 1995, Willy’s Pub and the MOB Bandhall were destroyed in a fire that gutted much of the Rice Memorial Center. Luckily enough, however, the MOB was already planning a move to the newly-refurbished basement of the Campus Central Kitchen Building (now the OEDK). Although a new band hall was in place, the MOB had to rebuild from nearly zero — new instruments, equipment, office supplies, computers, and uniforms all had to be bought in the summer of 1995 in time for the 1995-96 season.


Evolution of MOB uniforms

In 1997, Dr. Dye left Rice to rebuild the band program at the State University of West Georgia, a position he held for only one year before moving on to a directorship at Notre Dame University in the fall of 1998. Mr. Sean Williams was hired in the summer of 1997 to serve the MOB and the Rice Band Department as interim director until a permanent replacement for Dye could be found. That replacement was Dr. Robert Cesario, who came to us in the fall of 1998 from Tulsa, OK. After four years, Dr. Cesario resigned from the position of Director of Rice Bands in the summer of 2002.

The MOB is currently under the leadership of Mr. Chuck Throckmorton, who has been with us since 2002.


Chuck at a 2017 rehearsal

In spring 2017, the MOB moved into its new band hall on the south end of the football stadium, leaving its old shared location in a gym in the back of Tudor behind. The hall was officially named the John “Grungy” Gladu Band Hall in fall 2017.

School music

Rice’s Honor
“Rice’s Honor” was adapted from the “Our Director March” in the 1922, with lyrics by Ben H. Mitchell 󈧜. It served as Rice’s unofficial alma mater for 40 years before being officially established as such in the 1960s as such.

All for Rice’s honor, we will fight on.
We will be fighting when the day is done.
And when the dawn comes breaking,
We’ll be fighting on, Rice, for the Gray and Blue.
We will be loyal, to Rice be true.

Fight Song
The Rice Fight Song was written by Louis Girard 󈧭 and Harry Girard and premiered in 1940. Although originally intended to replace “Rice’s Honor” as the school’s alma mater, it was much more popular among students as a fight song, leaving “Rice’s Honor” in the role of alma mater.

Fight for Rice, Rice fight on,
Loyal sons arise.
The Blue and Gray for Rice today
Comes breaking through the skies.
Fight, fight, fight!
Stand and cheer, Vict’ry’s near,
Sammy leads the way.
Onward go! to crush the foe,
We’ll fight for Blue and Gray.

Bonnet
Bonnet was written in the 󈨀s by Harvin C. Moore 󈧟 and Barry Moore 󈨂 to the 1909 tune “Put on Your Old Grey Bonnet” and became a popular tune at football games.
30-second Bonnet is the tune compressed into 30 seconds and is performed at basketball games.

Louie Louie
“Louie Louie” is the MOB’s personal fight song/theme song based on the 1963 Kingsmen hit. The MOB first performed it in a show against TCU in 1981, and now plays it at every football game.

News and Upcoming Events:


To limit how many people are using the band hall at a time, please check the band hall availability calendar before using the band hall.


10 Fun Facts about Rice University

1. Nearly half of all Rice students are from out of state.

2. The wall at the entrance of Rice’s architecture building is known as the Frog Wall for the croaking frog noises it makes if you run your fingers over the holes.

3. All students are required to finish two P.E. type classes of Lifetime Physical Activity Program, or LPAP, before graduation.

Browse Successful Application Files

New Posts

In this second part of his two-part series, college admissions coach Justin Taylor explains key admissions lessons from 2020, an unprecedented year of firsts, that can help you strategize as we enter into this next application.

In Part one of this two-part series, college admissions coach Justin Taylor explains key lessons about 2020, “a year like no other,” that could seriously boost your chances in 2021, including smarter list building and transcript GPA.

We are so excited to announce that for this year’s scholarship, we selected five scholarship winners to maximize the impact of our $5,000 college scholarship prize money.

For students who can knock their college essays out of the park, the pandemic presents a unique writing opportunity (but not as an essay topic).

The recent killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery, among so many others in the Black community who have been robbed of their lives over the years by the brutal and fatal use.


Facts about Rice University 1: level of research

The research activity in Rice University is very high. In 2011, the research earned the funding of $115.3 million from the sponsor.

Facts about Rice University 2: the applied science programs

Applied science is the main program in Rice University. It covers a number of fields such as signal processing, artificial heart research, nanotechnology, space science, and structural chemical analysis.

Facts about Rice University


Rice University - History

The Rice NROTC Unit was officially inaugurated in September 1941, making it the second NROTC Unit formed in Texas. The first Commanding Officer was CAPT Dallas D. Dupre, a World War I veteran who had graduated from the Naval Academy in 1915.

The unit building was newly made and prepared for the first class of midshipmen when the program began in 1941, with 110 spots available for freshmen and sophomore students at Rice to apply for. The program continued to expand, and only a year later, in 1942, had 198 midshipmen. The unit was heavily involved with the rice community on campus. Initially created in addition to the ROTC Program was the Navy Club, which was meant to increase camaraderie and instill the good ideals of the navy into midshipmen. Members also created the Navy Orchestra, which played at events around campus. The unit midshipmen also ran a publication called the Rice Broadside, which included news from the company, as well as thoughts about current events, such as the excerpt below, from an issue during WW2. Midshipmen also found uses for the physical demands of the navy - many of the Marine options were members of the Rice football team as well. In 1943, Rice University was selected to participate in the V-12 Commissioning Program for World War II with an initial input of 530 students. In February 1944, the unit commissioned its first class of graduates in all, 80 men were commissioned as officers in the U.S. Navy or Marine Corps. By July 1946, the V-12 Program had ended and the unit shrunk to 32 students. Today, the unit consists of cross-town affiliates at Texas Southern University, the University of Houston, and Houston Baptist University. It has commissioned over 900 officers into the Navy and Marine Corps since the end of World War II.

The Prairie View A&M University Unit was established in March 1968 and was the first NROTC unit established at a Historically Black College or University. In May 1970, the first class of 13 midshipmen were commissioned into the Navy and Marine Corps. By 1979, the unit had commissioned over 100 officers into the naval service. In August 1992, the Prairie View A&M University Unit joined with the Rice University Unit to form the NROTC Houston Consortium. To date, the unit has commissioned over 400 officers into the Navy and Marine Corps.

List of site sources >>>


Žiūrėti video įrašą: აბიტურიენტების საჩივრების მიღება დაიწყო (Sausis 2022).